Tuesday, 2 December 2014

A Fangirl Moment...

By Lauren Michelle Daldry


I like to consider myself as a fangirl. Now you probably think a fangirl is some overly obsessed girl who cries over band/actor/youtuber/any famous hot guy and hyperventilates at just a poster of said band/actor/youtuber/any famous hot guy. Some fangirls are like that but then some fangirls have bands, singers, actors and youtubers as Idols which they look up to and admire because of their talent. Some are also a mix of both. Some even get judged...

I became a fangirl at the tender age of 8! (Tbh it was at 3 but it was over Steps and that doesn't count as had no music taste like Barbie Girl was my favourite song then *shudders*)
So anyway 8 year old me loved Busted (James was my favourite member, think the blue streak hair did it for me!). Then in 2004 a band completely changed my world (like seriously ask my parents/school friends). They are a small little unknown band called McFly and ever since I've loved them and still do (and also as them as McBusted too). It's been a whole 10 years this year and it's weird how you can grow up with this band and how they become your role models in life. Whenever, I listen to their music it makes me smile. (It sounds cheesy but it does)

I'm also a big fan of other bands (look at my favourite bands in my profile!) and in many different fandoms for different thing like TV (Whovians in particular), Film (Potterheads, Disnerds, Tributes),Music (from TWFanmily, Vamily, Galaxy Defenders, KatyCats, Killjoys, Sixers,etc.) and YouTube (Phandom, Hopefuls, The Bro Army,etc). Being in a fandom gives me a sense of belonging and some of the fandoms I'm in I've met the most amazing and awesome people and I'm proud to call some my best friends.

Like many fangirls/fanboys I have a twitter and even *whispers* a tumblr. Now my years as a fangirl on twitter I've been so honoured to get retweets from The Wanted and E of E, follows from Tom from The Wanted, Scouting For Girls, James Bourne, The Vamps and Eof E, a even a favourite from AmazingPhil. Getting noticed is an honour sort of an achievement but people probably think 'Big deal'. But to someone like me who loves that person as their idol it's everything. This year I got to meet E of E and even though they are a unknown band that hardly anyone knows of them, meeting them was incredible as they were so nice.

Now in the introduction I mention the different types of fangirls and also said about getting judged. Some people in this world judge us fangirls and think we're stupid. Many times I've heard people say 'They don't care about you' or 'Why are you do you even like them? They're never going to met you', or 'God grow up, you should be having a boyfriend and going clubbing rather than being some fangirl over a band' These might only be words but words can be horrible and to say this to someone who looks up these celebrities as their heroes/role models and also there many be reasons why they love that band/film/tv show/book/youtuber.

With me it's a way to escape the world of stresses and tough times of reality. So I escape by being cheered up by watching Big Bang Theory or Anime for 30mins or listen to McFly's Room on the Third Floor as it brings back so many memories or watch Danisnotonfire's latest video as I can relate it (especially the Existential Crisis one) or Pewdiepie's new video (I recommend his Goat Simulator videos) as I find him hilarious to watch or maybe re read or watch the Harry Potter series as Hogwarts and the wizarding world magical. It might sound stupid or childish but it's true.

If this blog post has some sort of lesson or message it would be don't judge a book by it's cover, a film by it's title, a band by it's image, a fangirl by her tastes until you've read that book, seen the film,actually listened to the lyrics of that band or lived that fangirl's life. As her idols could be her life saver and her fandoms could be her family.

Keep smiling and say happy :D
Blog question: What fandoms are you in? leave them in the comments ^_^



No comments:

Post a Comment