Thursday, 27 August 2015

Travelling Around Dorset...

Hey It's Lauren...

Exploring the Jurassic Coast
This week's blog post is all about travelling and exploring as the past two weeks, I've been on holiday with my parents. (Well not much of a holiday for me as my parents visited me in Bournemouth but still was nice to have a break for a bit.) However, we did do a lot of exploring around and also enjoying the lovely weather for two weeks. It was nice to explore other areas of Dorset rather than just Bournemouth all the time.

Poole Harbour
First up was Poole. I've been there a few time and I actually really like it there by the harbour. Especially walking to the harbour with all the little shops near by. It very much like a cute little oldy-worldy town.
Poole town centre near harbour
Whilst in Poole, we went on a boat trip to the start of the Jurassic Coast. We got to see some of Brownsea Island, Sandbanks, Studlands and Swanage. While at Sandbanks, we passed The Haven Hotel which (geeky radio fact!) is where Marconi did experiments which then ended up with him inventing radio. Another sight we saw was Old Harry's Rocks which (another fact) is where The Needles in the Isle of Wight was joined with the Mainland. Who knew my blog post could be educational? 
Haven Hotel on Sandbanks
Old Harry's Rock
From Old Harry's Rocks, we then sailed on to Swanage to the pier and then made our way back to Poole again. To the east, we saw the beautiful island of the Isle of Wight and the famous landmark on the island, The Needles and the lighthouse. Slowly sailing our way back, I managed to get an amazing photo that showed all of Poole and Bournemouth which I was quite proud of.

Swanage from the Sea
Isle of Wight in the distance
Bournemouth on horizon

Ever since I moved down to Bournemouth, two years ago, I've always wanted to go and see Durdle Door. On the Thursday (13th August), I got the chance to go and see it. It was a really long journey as we went by two buses, a ferry and a really long walk. Along the way, I got to see some of the lovely Dorset countryside (side note: I think it's my favourite county - it's truly beautiful).

Dorset countryside
We stayed in Swanage for a bit while we were waiting for the connecting bus to Durdle Door. Really loved the railway as it has a victorian feel and also saw a steam train. We also had breakfast in an actual old train carriage that was a cafe which I thought was really quirky. They also did vegetarian baps (batches/cobs/rolls) which is (as a veggie) is a bonus as I usually just have to have beans on toast!
Swanage - The Jurassic Coast gateway
Swanage railway station & steam train
We then go on the bus to Durdle Door and had a lovely journey to there. On the way we saw Corfe Castle and a punny named florist and lots of thatched roofed cottages. 

Corfe Castle
I see what you did there...
Then we came to our destination of the incredible Durdle Door. To get there you have to go through a holiday park and also a steep steep pathway. It was a lot of walking and was really really tiring but however the views around there were so worth it. Durdle Door is really incredible to see in person. Although I've seen it in may photographs and also it on Google maps (when we were planning the trip), it really doesn't compare to seeing it there for yourself. (Sounds nerdy and geeky but it really is!) I would definitely recommend going there if you are visiting/live in Dorset!

Along the coastal path...
Breath-taking view
Durdle Door
I definitely loved the journey to and from there. You can also view more pictures below as I made a little video about my journey. Also, I made another small video of the Sandbanks Ferry too (which is also below that).



Going on both of the journeys to discovering the Jurassic Coast has made me realise how much I love travelling and exploring around. Also can't wait to decide and plan my next adventure (don't know where that maybe yet!). Hope you enjoyed this mammoth blog post!

Lauren ^_^



No comments:

Post a Comment